As New year has commenced, with so many other changes healthcare practices should also be prepared for ICD-10 changes. Here the question arises, Is Your Practice Already Prepared for the New ICD-10 2022 Guidelines? Don`t worry! In this article, you can adhere to the New ICD-10 Coding Guidelines 2022.
What are ICD-10 Guidelines?
In all healthcare settings, ICD-10-CM guidelines are used to classify diagnoses, morbidities, and reasons for patient visits. Healthcare providers, billers, and coders must use these guidelines and reporting requirements as companion documents to the official version of the ICD-10-CM. ICD-10-CM and the ICD-10 code set under the new guidelines, including new, revised, and retired codes, are updated. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) also implement the newly updated International Classification of Diseases, 10th Revision, Clinical Modification, and the ICD-10 code set.
Total 72,748 codes are available this year including:
- 159 new codes
- 32 deleted codes
- 20 revised codes
New Codes for COVID-19 Infection
New codes are available for 2022 to report conditions secondary to COVID-19 infection:
- J12.82: Pneumonia due to Coronavirus disease 2019 (MCC)
- M35.81: Multisystem inflammatory syndrome (CC)
- M35.89: Other specified system involvement of connective tissue (CC)
- Z11.52: Encounter for screening for COVID-19
- Z20.822: Contact with and (suspected) exposure to COVID-19
- Z86.16: Personal history of COVID-19
- U09.9: Post COVID-19 condition, unspecified
New codes for conditions affecting the nervous system
In this category ICD-10 now includes 10 new codes, with many of them classified as MCC or CC codes. Some of these new codes include:
- G04.82: Acute flaccid myelitis (MCC)
- G44.86: Cervicogenic headache
- G92.00: Immune effector cell-associated neurotoxicity syndrome, grade unspecified
- G92.01: Immune effector cell-associated neurotoxicity syndrome, grade 1
- G92.02: Immune effector cell-associated neurotoxicity syndrome, grade 2
- G92.03: Immune effector cell-associated neurotoxicity syndrome, grade 3 (CC)
- G92.04: Immune effector cell-associated neurotoxicity syndrome, grade 4 (CC)
- G92.05: Immune effector cell-associated neurotoxicity syndrome, grade 5 (CC)
- G92.8: Other toxic encephalopathy (MCC)
- G92.9: Unspecified toxic encephalopathy (MCC)
ICD-10 2022 New and Deleted Codes
ICD-10-CM coding guideline changes for 2022 include numerous corrections to spelling errors, as well as significant changes to diseases and conditions. Code additions and deletions are also crucial areas of change.
The table below is a noteworthy breakdown of additions and deletions to the ICD-10-CM coding guidelines for 2022.
Note: There was no change or deletion to chapters not listed above.
Implementing Diagnosis Code Changes
To ensure that claims are paid, healthcare practices should integrate the 2022 ICD-10-CM coding guideline changes into their system.
To cut the risk of Billing/medical records in ICD-10-CM updates you must teach your staff and providers about the key changes to the 2022 ICD-10-CM coding guidelines. With this, you will improve efficiency and accuracy when choosing diagnosis codes – either electronically or on paper.
To avail Zee Medical Billing Expertise and save your money by outsourcing your billing services__
Call @ +1 (224) 999-6997