Anesthesia is the process of Medication being administered to a patient to perform Medical procedures without any pain. It is administered to make the patient unconscious, unaware of any pain and discomfort including emotional stress at the time of the Medical procedure.
On the other hand anesthesia billing, is distinctive and unique when compared to other medical specialty billing.
The usage of the QY modifier, when billed on a claim, means that the Anesthesiologist Medically directed 1 CRNA. Billing of this modifier would result in a 50% reimbursement. The usage of the QK Modifier is reported on the claim when the Anesthesiologist Medically directs 2-4 concurrent Anesthesia procedures and billing of this modifier would result in a 50% reimbursement.
The QX modifier is used when billing for a CRNA Medically directed by an MDA. The QZ is used when a CRNA administers Anesthesia without an MDA present. Reimbursement of the claims billed with the QX modifier is reimbursed at 50%. Claims billed with the QZ Modifier are reimbursed at 100%.
The usage QS modifier informs the insurances (Commercial and Federal) that Monitored Anesthesia care service was provided. This modifier should be appended for Anesthesia procedure codes alone. The time duration of the procedure should be included in the claim as well. This modifier should be in the second modifier slot on the claim form and would be followed by the documentation modifier.
The AA Modifier is used on claims when billing to all insurance when the Anesthesia service was performed personally by the Anesthesiologist. The billing of the AA modifier renders reimbursement at 100%.
This modifier is frequently being used on claims. This modifier is reported on a claim when the Anesthesiologist Medically supervises more than 4 concurrent anesthesia procedures. The payment is made as (3 base units + time units) x 50% when the Anesthesiologist is not present at the time of induction. When the Anesthesiologist is present at the time of induction and when supporting documentation is submitted an additional unit is paid. The payment is as follows (3 Base + time units + 1 time unit for induction) x 50%.
Not reporting the appropriate modifiers would result in the lowest allowed percentage.
Anesthesia pricing modifiers always will be listed first in order to ensure timely and accurate reimbursements.
• AA: Anesthesia services that are performed by an Anesthesiologist personally. This modifier allows full reimbursement.
• AD: Services by an Anesthesiologist under medical supervision for more than 4 simultaneous procedures.
• QK: Medical direction by a physician for 2,3 or 4 concurrent anesthesia procedures that have involved qualified individuals or experts. This modifier limits 50% of the payment amount that has been permitted if performed by an anesthesiologist personally or by CRNA.
• QX: CRNA services by an anesthesiologist with medical direction. This modifier limits 50% of the payments that would have been allowed if performed by an anesthesiologist personally or by non-supervised CRNA.
• QY: Anesthesiologist medically directs one CRNA. This modifier limits 50% of payments to anesthesiologists as well as CRNA that would have been personally performed by anesthesiologists.
• QZ: CRNA services without any medical direction by an anesthesiologist. This modifier has no limits and no effect on payments and the allowed amount is what the anesthesiologist would have performed personally.